The local ANC for the parts of Rhode Island Ave NE and its surrounding neighborhoods where recent gun violence has occurred and a new nightclub is being proposed will hold a community meeting to hear from all of you on these two important issues.
If you are unaware of the issues: here is the nightclub issue here and here is the gun violence issue here.
Here is the information on the meeting:
Please come out TONIGHT – Tuesday, October 13 – for our next community meeting.
We will break the meeting up into two halves to address two issues:
- 6:30-7:15 PM – New liquor license application for 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE
- 7:15-8:00 PM – Public Safety discussion with DC Metro Police Dept
Location: Langdon Park Recreation Center, 2901 20th Street NE
Date: Tuesday, October 13
6:30 PM – 7:15 PM – New “Tavern” for 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE ?
- Discussion of the application for a new “tavern” at 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE (most recently this building was ‘Dura Auto Sales’).
- The application is from the same operators of the club “SIP” located a few blocks down at 1812 Hamlin St NE.
- The application is for a “new tavern serving Caribbean food. Entertainment to include live bands, dancing, cover charge and DJ’s. Total Occupancy Load is 350. Sidewalk Café with 35 seats.”
- Proposed operating hours would be until 2am on weeknights, 3am on weekends.
- Representatives from the proposed establishment have been invited.
7:15 PM – 8:00 PM – Public safety and recent neighborhood violent crime
- At 7:15 PM officers from DC Metro Police Department will join us.
- Tragically, we have lost several members of our community due to violence this year. We have also had numerous and ongoing reports of gunfire around the neighborhood.
- What are the police and DC government doing? What can we as neighbors and as a community do?