The road to revitalization has just gotten a boost from Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie and Mayor Gray this morning at an event at the DC Dragons Martial Arts Training Center, located on RIA. McDuffie and Gray stood behind an oversized check to emphasize the size of the grants to local businesses being made in Ward 5 due to the Great Streets Small Business Capital Improvement Program, a program that McDuffie fought hard to get funded for this Ward since taking office. These grants will help businesses to improve their facade and make other improvements.
Among the $2.1 million in grants going to Rhode Island Ave businesses are:
- DC Dragons Martial Arts Training Center
- The Material World Boutique
- The Avenue Day Spa
- AA Enterprise
- P&G Counseling and Educational Institute
Here is Councilmember McDuffie’s letter to the community regarding these grants:
October 28, 2013
This morning I joined Mayor Gray and Victor Hoskins, Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED), at the DC Dragons Martial Arts Training Center, located at 1731 Rhode Island Avenue NE, to celebrate the 29 awardees of the Great Streets Small Business Capital Improvement Program.
As you may know, earlier this year I introduced, and the Council passed, legislation declaring Bladensburg Road, North Capitol Street, and Rhode Island Avenue as “Retail Priority Areas.” This designation provides access to Great Streets grants and technical assistance from DMPED for businesses along these corridors. As a result of this legislative accomplishment, today nine Ward 5 businesses along Bladensburg Road, North Capitol Street, and Rhode Island Avenue were awarded grants to improve their businesses!
Ward 5 did exceptionally well in this competitive grant process. Of the $2.1 million in grant monies awarded throughout Retail Priority Areas across the city, nearly $740,000 went to businesses along Bladensburg Road, North Capitol Street, and Rhode Island Avenue.
Ward 5’s awardees are as follows:
- Wonder Automotive, located at 1111 Bladensburg Road NE, is an automobile repair shop that will use its $85,000 award for building renovations and signage to attract new customers.
- Cornerstone Bar Group, located at 1648 North Capitol Street NW, will use its $85,000 award to convert a vacant building on the site into a new restaurant to serve the Truxton Circle, Bloomingdale, and Eckington neighborhoods.
- The Avenue Day Spa, located at 2125 Rhode Island Avenue NE, is a salon that will use its $85,000 award for store improvements and to install new signage.
- DC Dragons Martial Arts Training Center, located at 1731 Rhode Island Avenue NE, is a family owned and operated martial arts studio that will use its $69,500 award to renovate its facility.
- The Material World Boutique, located at 2121 Rhode Island Avenue NE, a retail store on the Rhode Island Avenue corridor will use its $85,000 award for façade improvements and equipment upgrades.
- Provost, located at 2129 Rhode Island Avenue NE, is a new restaurant that will use its $85,000 award for façade and space improvements.
- AA Enterprise, located at 3010 Rhode Island Avenue NE, is an automobile repair shop that will use its $73,000 award to install digital signage.
- ICHPROP, located at 1601 Rhode Island Avenue NE, is a restaurant serving the Langdon and Brookland communities that will use its $85,000 award for streetscape and rear outdoor area upgrades.
- P & G Counseling and Educational Institute, located at 2218 Rhode Island Avenue NE, is a mental health services company that will use its $84,996 award to renovate both its interior and exterior space.
I want to publicly congratulate these Ward 5 businesses on a job well done in the application process. I look forward to working with the community to identify additional ways to support our small businesses and to grow our retail corridors.
2 thoughts on “McDuffie Brings Help to RIA Businesses!”
nice and another good udpate I found here.