So what is legal and what is not? According to the Patch, here is a list:
As a rule of thumb, fireworks or firecrackers that explode are illegal to use or sell in the District.
The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and Fire/EMS can seize illegal products and anyone found in possession of illegal fireworks could face fines and penalties of up to $2,000 and/or arrest for further prosecution.
According to DC MPD, illegal fireworks are those that have any of the following characteristics:
• Any fireworks that move.
• Any fireworks that explode.
• Any fireworks that emit a spark or flame greater than 12 feet.
• Any fireworks that have a side mounted fuse or a fuse inserted at any point along the length of the product’s surface.
• Any fireworks that contain mercury, arsenic, magnesium, phosphorus, or any other highly oxidizing agent.
• Any fireworks that the Fire Marshal considers to be dangerous to the safety of any person or property.
Examples of such items include, but are not limited to:
• Cherry Bombs
• Floral Shells
• Artillery Shells
• Sparklers greater than 20 inches long
• Bottle Rockets
• Buzz Bombs
• Jumping Jacks
• Anything that is similar to these products.
Side note: From the sounds of it in my neighborhood, DCRA needs to conduct some inspections because there are definitely some exploding fun happening.
Be safe everyone and enjoy a great Fourth!