May

Carolina Kitchen’s Entry into DC

Carolina Kitchen is coming to Rhode Island Row.

We recently received a postcard in the mail to announce that the restaurant, already with locations in Hyattsville and Largo, is coming to the new development at the Rhode Island Metro station. The restaurants own website does not list the location (although it lists several new locations in the works – including Chinatown). As someone who has been to the restaurant’s location in Hyattsville, next to the AMC Movie Theater, a couple of times, it is a big win for us to have one closer.

The menu for this restaurant includes:

Cajun Grilled Pork Chop
Two flame grilled, tender pork chops with zesty Cajun seasoning served with rice pilaf, macaroni & cheese and classic vegetable blend

Chesapeake Platter
Succulent fried lobster tail, jumbo meat crab cake, fried shrimp, spicy wings and your choice of two side items

Smothered Fried Chicken
Two pieces of fried chicken covered in grandma’s gravy over fresh garlic mashed potatoes and two side fixins

Country Fried Croaker
Country fried bone fish served with collard greens and potato salad

Among other things…see the full menu here.

About these ads

15 Responses to “Carolina Kitchen’s Entry into DC”

1. 1 Donna
    May 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Smart move!!! Especially on Sundays, with all the churches around the area.

2. 2 newbie
    May 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Does anyone know where exactly it will go? Also, whatelse is coming in terms of retail/ restaurants?

3. May 23, 2012 at 10:57 pm

WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME! For the record- hearing the Carolina Kitchen staff holler that every single time someone walks through the door is the most annoying part of dining there, However, in spite of the fact that the church crowd will keep RIA clogged up even LONGER now on Sunday afternoon’s I am thrilled with the news.

4. 5 Ms. D
    May 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Not exactly my preferred dining option, but seems like a good start. Preferences being what they are, it’s not that I don’t think it’s a good fit for the community, just not really up my alley. I DO hope it is successful so as to draw MORE options, some of which I’m sure will fit my tastes better. Maybe it will even get the church-goers to park their cars in the garage of the development (700 spaces is WAY more than needed for the residents/patrons, particularly on Sunday mornings) instead of all over the street, and spend a little money in the community. A lot of them do seem to go to McDonalds, so maybe a better option will draw them in. I’ll be looking out for the build-out to begin!

5. 6 Woodie
    May 25, 2012 at 8:38 am

Speaking of the church crowds, I was hoping more of them would become pioneers and open shops at RIARow and on RIA. We all have the same (non-alcoholic/non-smoking) needs. I’ve noticed that Church of the Light (at 12th & RIA) is having their kids along RIA on Saturday with car wash signs. It’s nice to see them raising funds for youth activities. And, Colonial Parking should be offering discounted parking rates for all church-goers.

What are McDuffie’s plans for the area? He’s become the phantom Councilman. Since he’s been elected, I’ve read articles about him appearing on news programs, but have never seen him in the flesh. Is he just all talk and a no-show Councilman? I do hope he will finally place a Green Team on RIA!

• 7 rhodeislandinsider
      May 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Woodie, the election results first need to be certified and then he becomes Councilmember.

• 8 Dave
      May 25, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Good grief, you might want to wait until the guy is, you know, an actual Councilmember before you start reaming him. What, exactly, are you expecting?

• 9 Woodie
        May 26, 2012 at 6:15 am

Dave,

I’m expecting utopia! How about you? We’ve waited too long without any representation. I think we’ll be back to the old way of doing things, where we won’t see much of our Councilman, but might just see his staff at meetings and on listservs. So, it’s important early on that we demand what we want. But to who? And who will he listen to? As you know in any newly elected position, it’s pay back time! He has to thank all those who put so much effort in getting him elected, by meeting their needs and demands first. The rest of us will be ignored or have to wait.

• 10 dgibber123
      May 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

Really?? He was JUST SWORN IN YESTERDAY. Let’s give him time to, I don’t know, get a staff before we start talking about him becoming the phantom councilman. He wasn’t even a councilman when you wrote this. SMH.

• 11 Toni
      June 2, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I think blanket discounted rates for Sunday morning make sense. Like I said, 700 spaces is A LOT, and Sunday morning is slow time for retailers (they often open later on Sundays, to begin with) and Metro parkers. With the Metro garage being free on weekends, people aren’t going to pay a lot to park there. Honestly, I think we’ve got a bit of a DCUSA situation with the copious parking here, and hopefully the rates will reflect that (DCUSA is $1/hour at all times, I believe). Hopefully the garage management will make decisions that allow our current parking concerns to be addressed (someone paying even a nominal fee for a space is better than spaces sitting empty). In addition, it would be great if management gave Zipcar a few spaces, since weekends (and even frequently weekday evenings) are a tough go for the 4 cars at the Metro. Clearly there’s unmet demand in this regard.

6. 12 brookland_rez
    May 29, 2012 at 10:35 am

The menu looks good, I look forward to dining there.

7. 13 Jess
    April 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Does anyone know when it will open? I keep checking the website but it just says Summer 2013.